[TowerTalk] Fwd: Testing a vacuum variable Cap for an Inv-L

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Testing a vacuum variable Cap for an Inv-L
From: hanslg@aol.com
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2010 23:38:22 -0400
 Beside a HiPot test you should look for the "silver mirror" inside the cap.
Normally, I think that's the case for vacuum caps as well, there is a barium
film deposited inside the glas envelope. The film act as a vacuum pump to
insure the vacuum is good for a long time. When the film start to get saturated
it turns transparent and virtual disappear. Later, if the vacuum disappears
completely, as if the glass envelope breaks, it turns into a white powder.

You may set it up in a resonance circuit with an inductor and pump some power
into it. I don't really recommend it as it is hard to know how high the voltage
gets. Hopefully somebody else has experience how to do that.

Good luck and 73 de

Hans - N2JFS