[TowerTalk] Fwd: Aluminum Towers

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Aluminum Towers
From: Hans Hammarquist <hanslg@aol.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 10:08:32 -0400 (EDT)
Please, I hope not.

My situation was special as I had all these "lose" pieces laying around.
Summarizing the "guying a freestanding tower"; you may increase the strength
but you may also decreasing the strength depending on how you add the guy wires
and what foundation you have..

In my case the tower is good for 80 mph without the guy wires but 130 mph with.
If I  attached the wires higher up or lower down on he tower the strength would
be less I still have the engineering discussion around but am not sure I would
be able to interpret it today (with my old, hardened brain).

Hans - N2JFS

From:Hans Hammarquist <hanslg@aol.com>
Date:Fri, 10 Aug 2012 15:54:57 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Jerry,

I have a Universal Tower in my back yard and am happy with it. As it is only
part Universal (and part Heights) I decided to put up a few guy wires (4)
with
it. (Makes it stand 130 MPH wind with 20 sqf wind load). The Universal
pieces
fit very well together and I find it very plausible you will be able to do
the
gin-pole job. My tower has a total high of 85'.

Hans - N2JFS