[TowerTalk] Fwd: lightning strikes, etc.

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Fwd: lightning strikes, etc.
From: Hans Hammarquist <hanslg@aol.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2012 19:46:58 -0400 (EDT)
I bought a house 1997. The house was over 200 years old. No lightning
.protection what so ever. I owned it one year and two days when lightning
stroke and burnt it down to ground. I rebuilt the house, same size, same
location. This time an extensive lightning protection system was installed.

The first year after we moved back in the house was "tested" twice. No damages
on the house but the first time several telephones went dead. (Time for
purchase of several surge protector.) Next strike took care of the surge
protectors but all other electronics survived. (Never say:" Lightning never
strikes twice"). I have now a 85 feet tower next to the house. I put some metal
brushes on top, just in case they really can discharge the clouds. Random or
not, we have not experienced any strikes yet. (Time will tell :-)

Conclusion; you never know where lightning strikes. You can only do predictions
by looking at statistics and try to minimize the possibilities.

73 de,

Hans - N2JFS