[TowerTalk] RTV or Silicone Sealant

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] RTV or Silicone Sealant
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 1999 21:44:02 EDT
In a message dated 99-06-26 20:53:40 EDT, k3gt@pgh.net writes:

> Need to seal wire connections on a TH11...what type of  sealant to use? I
> have Blue Permatex RTV Gasket sealant...is this ok or should a GE 50 year
> silicone sealer be used instead? The manual says to use an alcohol based
RTV
> but unable to locate it. Is that blue stuff alcohol based? No info on the
> package.  Any ideas?

       What wire connections? You mean at the feedpoint? Just make sure
you're using antioxidant at all electrical connections and you'll be okay.

        Don't use an off-the-shelf RTV. It absorbs water as it cures and
outgasses a solvent that isn't good for electrical connections. You want to
use something like what's used on aquariums. Dow Corning 3145 works real
well.

Cheers,   Steve    K7LXC