Re: [TowerTalk] wrapping a big grip on phillystran - Tension

To: <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] wrapping a big grip on phillystran - Tension
From: "W3YY" <w3yy@cox.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 16:11:22 -0000

Tensioning the Phillystran is a good point if you find it easier to install
the guy grips with the Phillystran held tight, but it is not a requirement.
Phillystran recommends tensioning only as an option and I confirmed that on
the phone this morning with Phillystran.  Grips installed without the
Phillystran under tension work just as well and mine have lasted 6 years
without any slipping whatsoever.  In fact the Phillystran installation
bulletin drawings even show the grips being installed on untensioned cable.

In my case, I didn't have or want to rig some kind of tensioning device (no
welding bench here, HI) so I just installed the grips as shown on my web
site.  Personally I didn't find the lack of tension to be any problem at
all, but do what you find easiest.

73, Bob - W3YY