Re: [TowerTalk] Can motorized crank up's be manually

To: <K7LXC@aol.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Can motorized crank up's be manually
From: "Jim Thomson" <Jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 06:47:23 -0700

From: K7LXC@aol.com
Sent: Monday, April 12, 2010 5:56 AM
To: towertalk@contesting.com ; Jim.thom@telus.net

In a message dated 4/3/2010 6:34:43 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
  >  We  just went through a big wind storm all last night [ thursday night/fri
morning].   The  commercial  AC power flickered and dimmed
  a few times.  It eventually died  for 2 hrs.

  >  Ok,  what happens  with the  HDX-689... when it's fully extended, and els
all broadside to the wind.. and power goes off ??

  >  Can these things  be  brought down manually .. safely.... by another
method ??   [ hand winch, cordless drill, etc]

      I don't think anyone mentioned taking the guard off of the motor V-belt
and then removing the belt. Then you can turn the transmission pulley by hand.
It's a slow laborious process but coming down is relatively easy - gravity is
your friend. Raising it is much harder manually.

  Cheers,
  Steve     K7LXC
  TOWER TECH

  ##  US Tower corp informs me that,
  "Sorry my shop manager just got back to me what we can do. You can purchase a
crank handle assembly.

   Crank handle will turn the pulley on the input shaft attached to the gear
box, the UST part number is 15003-0015-0000."

  ##  Both the tower, and the crank handle, and the CM-20 chromolly mast will
be here in 2 x weeks.  We  shall see if

  the optional crank handle actually works.  This might be the ticket, VS
trying to start a gen set at 3-AM in winter, or UPS

   power.  I'm not interested in raising during a pwr outage, just lowering.  I
 THINK the gearbox shaft comes out the

  opposite end of the gearbox.. where the crank handle  could be attached.  If
so, the guard cover, and V-belt  would

  not have to be removed at all.  A  cordless  drill  with  correct fitting
might also work.  I will  report back with my

  findings.

  later... Jim  VE7RF