Re: [TowerTalk] ground rod depth problem due to rocky soil -- solutions?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] ground rod depth problem due to rocky soil -- solutions?
From: john@kk9a.com
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2012 13:53:55 -0500
This is a poor method of lightning protection. I also disconnect
everything and have seen damages from voltages induced into the
unconnected wires during a strike. Also you may have grounds at different
potentials if left connected that can can damage your equipment.

from [Michael Goins]    [Permanent Link][Original]
To:      Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Subject:Re: [TowerTalk] ground rod depth problem due to rocky
soil -- solutions?
From:    Michael Goins <wmgoins@gmail.com>
Date:    Fri, 16 Nov 2012 09:28:12 -0600

Still not clear about the need/reason. Why not just totally disconnect
and
reconnect the tower when you operate? That's what I do here and the
tower
is not grounded other than by its proximity due to the factory base 5
feet
deep in solid rock. My station is completely broken from the tower when
am not operating and I don't operate in storms. There is nowhere for
lightning to go that would harm my station.

Michael Goins, k5wmg
Professor, Writing
University of Texas at San Antonio