Re: [TowerTalk] A dumb question

To: TowerTalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] A dumb question
From: "john@kk9a.com" <john@kk9a.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2017 12:12:51 -0400
It is surprising that some people have no issues with cables laying on the
ground. When I moved to NC and had just started to build my station. I
temporary laid hundreds of feet of control cables and coax on the ground a
week before for an upcoming contest. By the time the contest started I
noticed that my rotator and remote coax switch were inoperative. I walked
outside and discovered that the control cables were chewed up in multiple
locations.

John KK9A

To:     "TowerTalk" <TowerTalk@contesting.com>, "N4ZR" <n4zr@comcast.net>
From:   "Bob Shohet, KQ2M" <kq2m@kq2m.com>

I use buryflex coax and CQ304 and CQ302 rotator cable.  I have had them
laying
on the ground for almost 20 years with no discernable physical deterioration.
If I put them below ground I would have to deal with the acidic soil,
critters,
pools of groundwater, etc.  Of course these issues would be mitigated by
using
gravel, sand, conduit, etc.  I like keeping it simple.  I have fewer critter
problems and no water/soil issues with laying the cables on the ground.

73 & GL!

Bob  KQ2M