[Towertalk] Universal aluminum

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Universal aluminum
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2002 11:55:35 EDT
In a message dated 8/31/02 5:22:33 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
N8KU@longwire.com writes:

> I am finalizing plans to put up my first tower, I have settled on a
Universal
>  80' with 30" base. I am interested in comments, tips, suggestions, etc.

    Typically aluminum towers are somewhat more expensive than a steel one
plus some of the manufacturers discourage you from climbing them. Aluminum
towers are used primarily by amateurs - professional standards do not
typically include them.

>  This tower will be primarily for Internet access, but I do plan to put a
30m
>  ground plane on top. Still trying to figure a way to attach some solid
>  radials instead of wires.

    Huh? This is a large antenna so you've got some pretty challenging
mechanical problems to overcome. Have you modeled it to see how it will
perform up there? I'm sure some antenna guys will have more educated
comments.

>  I have heard that the base (just 3 posts) is a little difficult to line
up, so
>  I plan to weld a couple of rebars on to them to hold them together while
>  concrete is poured.

    I don't think you can weld rebar to aluminum. How does the base fixture
come from the manufacturer?

    Heck, this is aluminum - just bend it until you get it where you want
(slightly facetious comment).

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH -