Re: [TowerTalk] Rebar cage - ???

To: "Eg9k@aol.com" <Eg9k@aol.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rebar cage - ???
From: "A.J. Farmer (AJ3U)" <farmer.aj@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 22:16:32 -0500
The fiber reinforced concrete is stronger than standard concrete and
probably eliminates the need for a wire grid, but that's not the
reason you don't need rebar in a patio slab.  Concrete has high
compression strength but very little tension strength.  Rebar provides
the tension strength.  A patio slab experiences mostly compression
force and barely any tension force so the rebar is not necessary.

A pier tower base, on the other hand, will have both high tension and
high compression forces so rebar is absolutely required.

--
A.J. Farmer, AJ3U
http://www.aj3u.com