Re: [TowerTalk] Elevated vertical

To: TexasRF@aol.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Elevated vertical
From: Ken <wa8jxm@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2011 21:38:47 -0500
Okay, Gerald, I will agree that you and I are talking about different things.
But most people talk about adjusting their antenna and saying it is resonant
(or not) when they get a 1:1 SWR.

As you have clarified, you are thinking of  "system resonance".  I'm talking
"antenna resonance".

Would you consider my 130' center fed dipole "resonant" on 60 or 30 m because
the antenna tuner inside the rig can tune the antenna/twin-lead/balun/coax to a
1:1 SWR inside the rig?  Sorry to say but that one hurts my head to think of as
"resonant".   Tuned? yes. Matched?  Yes. Resonant?  No.

In the chapter on Antenna Fundamentals, my 10th edition Antenna Book describes
"resonance in linear circuits" in regard to a wave traveling along the antenna
to the end, bouncing back, and being reinforced by the next wave coming from
the feedline.  It needs a specific length for that to happen:  the standard
length=492/frequency (or a multiple.)

73, Ken WA8JXM