Re: [TowerTalk] Yaesu 800DXA Followup

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Yaesu 800DXA Followup
From: David Robbins <k1ttt@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2012 06:30:17 -0500 (CDT)
trace the wiring from the plug to the motor, if that is like other yaesu rotors
it has some filters and diodes bypassed with the limit switches.  bypass all
that crud and see if the motor runs when you power it directly before you blame
the motor.

Oct 9, 2012 09:11:43 PM, msadams60@gmail.com wrote:

UPDATE!!!! I have the rotor on the bench and open. Looks FB for sure.
Apply 12.5V directly to pins 4-5 on the rotor connector. Hear a click and
nothing moves. Reverse the polarity and touch the pins again. Same click
and no motion. Then I turn the juice to 23.5V. Yes! It runs full speed, for
about 5 seconds. Then speed slows and slows and slows till it is at a dead
stop. Reverse the polarity and it runs very slowly the other way for a
maybe 10s then stops.

This is the SAME behavior I had up on the tower. So, it appears that there
are two options:

1. The gear train is binding although I don't see anything to indicate
this, or
2. The motor is FUBAR.

FWIW, the motor Ohm reading was 9.5 before I applied any DC power and after
a bunch of testing it is now 7.5 Ohms. If I let the unit sit for 5 minutes
and power it up again, it'll repeat the run at full speed and slow down
routine.

73,
Mark K2QO
K2 #543