Re: [TowerTalk] AS-AYL-4 4 direction Low Band Receiving Antenna

To: "Jim Lux" <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] AS-AYL-4 4 direction Low Band Receiving Antenna
From: "Rick Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 14:48:15 -0800 (PST)
To clarify my earlier posting:

I am only talking about replacing the amplifier at
the bottom of the whip with a transformer.  You still
of course need a phasing network.  This phasing network
will be the same whether you use the DXE amplifiers or
you use transformers.  You can use the DXE phasing
network if you want.  As was pointed out before, receiving
phasing networks are relatively easy to build because
you don't have to worry about mutual coupling, especially
with 13 ft whips.

The low impedance side of the transformer is connected
between the center conductor and shield of the coax.
The high impedance side is connected between ground
and the whip.  There is no ground connection to the
coax.  This is exactly like a Beverage transformer
hookup.

There are several thousands of ohms of capactive reactance,
depending on the frequency.  The transformer does not tune
this out or or in any way provide a conjugate match.  The
optimum transformer ratio occurs when the resistive load
presented to the antenna equals the magnitude of the capacitive
reactance.  However, you can be off by a factor of 3 or 4
either way with only a few dB of lost sensitivity.  The loss
of sensitivity is not a real loss in what you can receive,
it just means you will need a few more dB of gain in your
preamp.  The preamp is a plain 50 ohm to 50 ohm or 75 ohm
to 75 ohm amplifier.  It can be preceded by an ordinary BCB
rejection filter if necessary.  You cannot precede the DXE
amplifier with a filter.  Another reason not to use it.

Rick N6RK