Concrete

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Concrete
From: fisher@hp-and2.an.hp.com (Tony Brock-Fisher)
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 1996 09:35:36 -0400
Tim-

3x3x4 comes out to 1.33 cubic yards. I vote for the wheelbarrows. I've
done it both ways, and it takes a lot more time to mix that much
concrete. Plus, you usually measure the ingredients by shovelfuls,
and I'm really skeptical about the quality of the mix you end up
with.

I did two guy anchor (3x3x1.5) and one base (2.5x2.5x4.5) with wheelbarrows
and friends. There were about 4 wheelbarrows and more volunteers, and
the whole pour took less than the 1 hour waiting time the concrete
truck provided free of charge. When the truck shows up, everybody
gets a charge of adrenalin and the pouring gets to be fun!

There needs to be one person who doesn't jockey concrete - their
job is to push the mix into the rebar with a 2x4 to ensure no
air pockets.

If you use forms (recommended), add scraps of plywood around the forms
to prevent spilled concrete from going down behind the forms, thereby
locking them into the hole. Any wood forms MUST be removed before
backfilling.

Good luck! Too bad I don't live near you - I'd come and push a few
'barrow loads!!

-Tony, K1KP, fisher@hp-and2.an.hp.com