Big, heavy mast

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Big, heavy mast
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 1996 00:38:18 -0400

<< Forwarded Message:
Subj:   Big, heavy mast
To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date:   96-06-18 11:19:13 EDT
From:   sbookout@mail1.mnsinc.com (Steve Bookout)
To:     k7lxc@contesting.com

Hi Steve.
Could you please send this out over the tower reflector.  My mail handler
can not, for some reason, cope with the reflectors.  Keeps sending them back
to me as undeliverable.  I would appreciate it.  73 Steve, NJ4F

*************

Howdy all.

How strong is strong?

I have had a 2 1/2" schedule 80, 21 foot long piece of pipe stored for years
hoping someday to use it for a mast.  I measures just under 3" OD and weighs
166 lbs.  Just standard schedule 80 galvanized pipe.  A real beast.  I
figured on machining down a piece of stock to fit in the end and to fit in
the tailtwister.  Figured I would pin it in place to hold it all together.
That is, pin it in the pipe not the rotator.  I have a pair of the tb-4's
and planned on using both in this application like I do the tb-3 with
smaller stuff.  Makes it real handy when working on rotator.  I usually keep
about 6-7 feet of the mast in the tower.
 Although I have hefted long masts over the top of a tower in the past, I
think I  will "build" this one into the tower from the beginning. Put two
sections together with the pipe inside and do the 'ol Iwo Jima trick.
Unless, of course, there is a better way to get it done with the Rohn 45.

For clarity, I'm really not a blivet when it comes to this stuff. I hve a
ton of practical applications experience with this kind of stuff and tend to
be conservative in my approach to things.  I just thougt this would be a
good follow-on to the thread that is currently being 'spun'.

Any comments on suitability as a mast, loading, installing, etc.

73, Steve, NJ4F

Windows logging software for the DX'er.

"..the way logging programs should be."

Visit our Homepage and get the FREE demo.
   http://www.erols.com/pvander