Protecting tower/concrete interface?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Protecting tower/concrete interface?
From: WR3O@music-city.tdec.state.tn.us (WR3O@music-city.tdec.state.tn.us)
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 1996 01:56:37 -0500
What is the best way to protect the base of a tower, where it meets
the concrete (this one has a 'base section' in concrete.)  The concrete
was NOT formed properly to avoid the collection of water, mud, leaves, etc.

In other words, junk collects there.  There are already signs of minor
surface corrosion (or it's mud in the concrete.)  The tower was installed
with a new 25G base section about 5 years ago.

This was ignored for the last five years until my awareness level was
raised here on the 'net.

What, if anything, would be the best course of action at this point to
minimize further corrosion of the tower/concrete interface?  Building
a "cap" for water to run around scares me because of what might get
trapped between the new & old layer, causing yet further corrosion.
One local here used something like driveway tar at the concrete/tower
interface.  Best course of action here?

Thanks,

Kirk WR3O