Rohn HDBX-48

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Rohn HDBX-48
From: blackj@agcs.com (blackj@agcs.com)
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 1996 16:29:17 -0700
Gene,

I have a hdbx40 that I installed in 1990. I have a klm KT-34a
on top.  I dug a hole about 4.5 x 4.5 feet and 5 ft deep for
the base ( that size was in the permit application which was based
on a hdbx48 tower).

Up until last August, I thought that everything would stay up
forever  HI . plans change however.  Prior to August, We had
only seen max winds in the 55mph catagory so no sweat.  In August
A severe storm blew through ( a nearby airport recorded 115mph,
Luke AFB had 120mph) and the KLM KT-34a element to boom plastic
bracket tore loose ( very interesting stress cracks) on at least
one element ( I assume more cracked).

The tower came through without any problems.

I have decided to replace the KLM with Force12's, Yes, I am planning
on putting a elite 3 element 20 meter and a 4 element 10 meter. Not
a big wind load in any case.

The recent discussions on this list swayed my decision, thanks
to all from a new lurker.

I actually am toying with the idea of interlacing the 10
onto the 20 meter's boom but since Force12 does not give
any real dimensions, I must wait until I have the beasts
to model it.

for your info,

73,
Jim