Fwd: Shortened verticals

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Fwd: Shortened verticals
From: UpTheTower@aol.com (UpTheTower@aol.com)
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 16:27:07 -0500
---------------------
Forwarded message:
From:   tr19@chrysler.com
To:     owner-towertalk@paris.akorn.net
To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: 96-12-06 15:13:29 EST

     I have modeled top loaded verticals over perfect ground.
     At 40 ft on 160M, the radiation resistance is 8 Ohms.
     Extrapolating my data to 26 ft yields a 4 Ohm radiation resistance.
     Inductive loaded short verticals should be even less (Gladiator,
     HF2V).  The GAP verticals are fairly effecient except on the lowest
     band for which they are designed where they use a combination of
     inductive and capacitive loading.  See my article on elevated GP
     antennas in JUNE 1994 QST pp 45-46.

     73, Tom - N4KG

_________________________________
Subject: Shortened verticals
Author:  owner-towertalk@paris.akorn.net at SMTP
To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date:    12/6/96 1:40 PM

Attachment file number 1, file name
Creation date:  December 06, 1996 13:40:46
Document Type:  ASCI, Document Class: MEMO
Comment:        Shortened verticals
Level:          1, Number : 1

Does anyone have real world experience with arrays of shortened
verticals?  I'm familiar with the recent articles on top
loaded hanging wire arrays, but I'm wondering about commercial
80m and/or 160m loaded verticals, like the GAP and the
Gladiator.  Anybody tried a four square with the Gladiators, for
example?

Howard WZ6Z