ELECTRIC WINCH

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: ELECTRIC WINCH
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 1996 00:06:31 -0500

>The parts are available from Granger to build one but I am
>hoping someone will have some experience with this sort of thing.
>
>Putting a motor on a hand winch isn't a simple job and I have been getting a
>real education regarding this.
>
>Note: while looking in the Grainger catalog I see Grainger part no. 1L570
>which is a HDR-300 gear box with a 115vac motor...3000 in.lbs of torque..
>
>Now this might solve a lot of rotation problems but you would have 115vac
>on the tower...look it up and tell me what u think..I may be wrong..

     Interesting topic and one that I've been occasionally researching.

     Are you interested in building a capstan winch or a drum winch?  I used
a capstan winch for years and they are very nice when using haul ropes.  You
can even rent them if you just need them occasionally.

    While many drum winches abound, the biggest problem is drum capacity.
 You can find lots of winches that'll take 50 feet of 1/4 inch cable but I
haven't been able to find anything that'll take 250 feet of 1/8 inch or
anything close.  I don't think you need 110VAC.  Getting power out in the
back 40 might be a pain.  A hand winch will handle even full sized 40M beams.
 Now if I can just find one.

73,  Steve  K7LXC