HD rotators

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: HD rotators
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 1997 12:23:58 -0500
In a message dated 97-01-06 11:07:18 EST, W9UI@SprintMail.com (Bob Eslaire)
writes:

>It would be interesting to know the reasons for your ordering, Steve.
>What specific problems do the commercial rotors suffer from (I know all
>about the HDR-300, as I have one and have to repair it often!).

>HDR-300     The HDR-300 takes an off-the-shelve 1 RPM transmission and mates
the indicator, brake, etc. to it.  It has the well-known keyway and related
problems.  It's a "semi-HD" rotator.

> Yaesu G-2800  Another "semi-HD" rotor, it has reasonable rotating and
torque figures but uses a conventional-type brake (non-worm gear) and has a
weak mast clamp.

> Create RC5B3  This is a decent rotator.  It has a worm gear transmission so
it doesn't need a brake, has substantial gears and a real nice control box.
 It's weakness is the cast aluminum mast clamp.

> Orion 2800    Now we're getting somewhere.  This rotator features a splined
output shaft (no more keyway), worm gear transmission and the best mast clamp
in the business.  The new digital control box has its quirks but does have
presets and is computer ready.

> Prop pitch   Search no more for the BEST rotator even made.  One of these
will turn your house and last 20 years or more.  Full-sized 80 meter beam?
 HA! No problem.  You have to either fabricate the control box and indicator
system yourself (not that tough) or buy the whole thing from Glenn, K6NA.

      By mere conincidence, TOWER TECH carries the Create, Orion and prop
pitch rotators.  We only handle the best.

73,  Steve   K7LXC

        CLAIMER:  My opinions are those of my employer.  So there.