Cell Phone Tower Restrictions

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Cell Phone Tower Restrictions
From: W5HNS@aol.com (W5HNS@aol.com)
Date: Sat, 8 Feb 1997 04:58:09 -0500 (EST)
ANYTIME something like this comes up, WE need to read the fine print.

I have a vague recollection from about ten or twelve years ago about a sign
and billboard ordinance created by the city of Houston, Texas.  One of its
main objectives was to raise money for the city with this ordinance forcing
certain signs on businesses to come down without some type of permit.

The fine print read something like ANY type of pole, TOWER,etc including
those supporting signs and billboards were affected.  Local HAM lawyers
spotted the wording and managed to head the whole thing off.  Had they not
caught it, many ham radio antennas and towers would have been in jeopardy.

Don't remember how this linked residential and suburban hams but I think it
did.
Anyone in the Houston area remembering this with more clarity may be able to
offer
a better picture.

BUT the bottom line is to ALWAYS check the wording of the fine print.  We may
be
included.

73 Henry W5HNS   Pasadena, Texas