[TowerTalk] Antenna square footage?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Antenna square footage?
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 18:54:00 -0500 (EST)
TowerTalkians --

      Here's a question for you antenna builders out there.  When I'm
calculating the square footage wind loading of an HF yagi antenna, it's easy
enough to figure the boom and elements.  My question has to do with the
hardware: boom-to-mast plate (typical); element hose clamps; element-to-boom
plates, U-bolts, and so forth.  When I take a commercial antenna (like a
204BA) and run the boom and element numbers, I typically wind up short of
what the factory spec is.  I'm sure that I'm missing the aforementioned
hardware.   The difference in the 204BA between my calculation and the
factory was about 15%.

      My question is: what's a good percentage or factor that will give me a
reasonable number for the hardware?  What else should/could I use.  Does the
15% sound reasonable?

     I invite your input.

73,  Steve   K7LXC