[TowerTalk] To grout or not to grout (tower leg bolts)

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] To grout or not to grout (tower leg bolts)
From: K4OJ@aol.com (K4OJ@aol.com)
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 1997 21:59:32 -0500 (EST)
Grout is used frequently in commercial construction, there are several types
available, I remember metallic and non-metallic as existing but forget why
you want one or the other .  What grout is, is basically a very fine
concrete, which will flow very easily.....ie the mixed grout will pour/run
under your metal "feet" easily - it won't need to be forced to occupy the
cavity under the steel.  It will take the weight once it sets up and serve to
transfer it to the slab below it - rather than having your leg up on a
"stilt." as it is now on the bolts.  Frequently grout is used under heavy
machinery, the equipment is placed as you have done, onto threaded bolts -
levelled, and then: its grout time.

Check with a larger lumber yard or supplier of concrete related products such
as form release agents....do not look for this at a "home center".  I suspect
you will not need much...the bags I remember carting over my shoulder were
about 25 lbs I think.

73

Jim K4OJ