[TowerTalk] Tower Falling Radius (long)

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tower Falling Radius (long)
From: N6ZO@aol.com (N6ZO@aol.com)
Date: Sat, 5 Apr 1997 09:58:57 -0500 (EST)
Fond greetings upon you!

No surprises here but when I got my AB-105 from the Navy, 50 or 60 AB-105
 towers in a given antenna field were selected marked for "knockdown".  All
the guys were detached at the bottom and then pushed over with a bulldozer.
 These towers were used as 70 foot rhombic supports. Most but not all stayed
together and fell 70 foot straight out in the direction they were
pushed/pulled.  The only apparent damage done to the tower itself was to
Individual 10 foot pieces and braces that were bent around and over
objects/rocks/hilly terrain they hit on the ground. On the average, a 70 foot
tower provided 50 foot of good usable tower.

By the way, even 75 feet of AB-105 is enough to ruin the springs on your car
in the event you decide to use a car top carrier for the 10 foot pieces and
the trunk for the braces.  Gives your car that permanent "low rider" look.

P.S.

Buy the heavy duty air impact wrenches, the light duty ones are only good for
disassembling  700 to 800 feet of AB-105 especially when it has been in the
elements awhile.

 -chet-