[TowerTalk] New (roof) tower installation

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] New (roof) tower installation
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 19:19:44 -0400 (EDT)
In a message dated 97-04-15 16:32:19 EDT, dab@kaiwan.com (Doug Brandon)
writes:

> The standard 8-wire rotor cable seems to be 2-#18 & 6-#22.  Is there
>  any reason I should get bigger gauge rotor cable for a Ham-IV?  I
>  also plan on getting the "Quick Connect" type connectors for it.

    While the Ham IV (and T2X) are very sensitive to voltage drop, unless
your run is over 100 feet I wouldn't worry about it.  BTW, the new Hy-Gain
rotators come with quick disconnect pigtails already.

>  Should I run the coax and rotor cable along the top of the roof to
>  one of the vents on the end of the house, or should I drill another
>  hole in the roof for all the cables?  If I go thru the roof, I assume
>  I should use some sort of tubing with a 180 degree turn on top to
>  keep water/moisture out?

     I'd come in the fascia under the eaves rather than penetrating the roof
and taking a chance on leaks.

>  I have overhead copper plumbing in my attic close to where the tower
>  will sit.  Is connecting to it a good way to ground the tower?

     Possibly, but it may be connected to PVC somewhere and offer no actual
grounding.  If you need to ground the tower, run a big cable down to a ground
stake; nothing else is as good.  Don't make sharp bends with your ground
wire; big lazy loops will work but a bend is a high impedance point.

73 and GL,   Steve  K7LXC