[TowerTalk] Replacing cable on US Tower

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Replacing cable on US Tower
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 1997 11:00:43 -0400 (EDT)
In a message dated 97-04-20 09:19:25 EDT, tvickers@bellsouth.net (Tom
Vickers) writes:

> >    Other than that, you may want spray a light cable lubricant on the
cables
>  >during your semi-yearly inspection.  DO NOT put heavy grease on the
cables;
>  >that just traps moisture in the cables.
>
>  Can you give the name of of a light cable lub that might be used.

     Ron Blackbern at TriEx recommends a product called Prelube.  I haven't
found a source for it yet.

     Check your yellow pages under rigging shops or wire rope suppliers and
see what they've got and recommend.  You're looking for a thin cable
lubricant that will penetrate the cable and doesn't leave a sticky residue on
the outside that dirt and contaminants will stick to.

    Heavier greases trap the moisture inside where the rust starts from the
inside out and by the time you see it, the damage has been done.  Then it's
REALLY time to change the cables and pulleys.

73,  Steve   K7LXC