[TowerTalk] forged/malleable EHS clamps

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] forged/malleable EHS clamps
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 1997 11:31:57 -0400 (EDT)
In a message dated 97-04-22 11:12:28 EDT, tgstewart@pepco.com writes:

> My guess would be that there arent many people still buying new clamps.
>  Most are probably going to preformed grips on new installations.  They are
>  easier to use, look better, and probably are actually cheaper to use by
the
>  time you add up the 3 clamps and extra cable.  I personally feel the grips
>  are more reliable / foolproof than using clamps or nicopress crimps.

     Cable clamps are the buggy whips of the guy wire industry.  Just about
everyone (tower erectors, power companies, utilities, TV cable companies,
etc.) have converted to preforms (or other devices) instead of clamps.

     You ever try to bend EHS while installing cable clamps?  What a pain.
 Also, the clamps will loosen up the first time they go through a temperature
cycle.  You did re-tighten everything before you put it up didn't you?

>The only downside is not being able to reuse them vs clamps.

     You can un-wrap Preforms twice.  A maximum use is
install-remove-install-remove-install.  The reason has to do with the grit
inside the grip that may be loosend and lost during the install-remove cycle,
thus losing some of its gripping strength.

73,  Steve K7LXC

     TOWER TECH - professional tower supplies for amateurs

                      and a Preformed Products dealer - imagine that!