[TowerTalk] Mr Harpole's 2 Recent Posts

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Mr Harpole's 2 Recent Posts
From: bobwanderer@polyphaser.com (ROBERT A. WANDERER)
Date: Thu, 22 May 97 09:38:22
     Post #1
     The rig will probably suffer damage. The power ground is just one
     ground rod which is insufficient to get all that energy into the
     earth. A radial system, as described in our catalog (Appendix A)
     is really what's needed. Nevertheless, you fail to indicate how
     you connected to that ground rod. Anything less than #2 is not
     going to work too well; even #2 is the bare minimum, with 2/0 the
     suggested minimum if wire must be used. 1.5"-wide copper strap is
     better than even 2/0. While 4/0 would be best (wire-wise), it is
     probably more difficult to work with that than strap. Again, the
     size of the connection is all but academic if you don't have a
     good lightning ground.

     You need to protect all your I/Os: RF, telco, ac, etc. You didn't
     indicate if these other I/O's were protected. Again, if not,
     you'll probably have damage to the rig from one of those sources.

     Post #2
     Yes, you can disconnect everything as per VUD, but that will NOT
     protect you. Is a tree conductive or grounded? No. Yet lightning
     will go through a tree if it needs to. Lightning is a constant
     current source and will develop as much voltage as it needs to
     achieve its goal, which is to equalize the potential gradient
     between the cloud and its mirror image on the earth. I believe
     the Hustler is a shunt-fed (dc-grounded) antenna. This usually
     helps in a lightning situation. What probably happened is that
     the surge energy found its low inductance path to achieve its
     goal (which, again, is potential equalization) without "seeing"
     your equipment. Next time, it may "see" your equipment as the
     desired path because the mirror image just discussed is located
     at a location where your coax line and equipment is the desired
     path.

     Realize that VUD is NOT controlling the path the surge energy
     will take. So far this person has been lucky. At some point, his
     lucky streak (pun intended) will end. By properly protecting and
     grounding YOU control where the energy will go. That is the crux
     of the PolyPhaser Philosophy.

     Of course VUD can increase his chances by installing a #1 Iron
     golf club at the top of his tower. As Lee Trevino once exclaimed,
     "not even God can hit a #1 Iron." (This IS a joke for those who
     may think otherwise.)

     Hope this helps!

     Sincerely and 73,
     Bob Wanderer AA0CY