[TowerTalk] Elevated Vertical adventures

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Elevated Vertical adventures
From: rsolomon@tsd.textron.com (rsolomon@tsd.textron.com)
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 97 09:27:51 EDT
     I am in process of installing Two Verticals with a Dunestar
     Phasing box for use on 30 meters. Literature on elevated
     Verticals/Radials not vast (what I can find) but off we went.
     Using the railing on the back deck (6 feet above ground) for
     support. Antennas are 1/4 wave verticals with 4 1/4 wave radials.
     Now for interesting part: SW vertical (about 18 inches from wood
     side of house) works fine, SWR less than 1.5:1 using MFJ-259
     SWR analyzer. NE vertical, out in open, works strange. Resonant
     frequency around 8.5 MHz, adjusting antenna length has little
     effect, both antennas and radials identical. Now for speculation;
     Antenna mounted on deck rail, which is pressure treated wood, can
     that introduce strange effect ? changed coax, no change, so now I
     am stumped. Any suggestions ??  Tnx, Dick, W1KSZ