[TowerTalk] A better Antenna

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] A better Antenna
From: KF8KW@aol.com (KF8KW@aol.com)
Date: Fri, 23 May 1997 09:29:17 -0400 (EDT)
After being spoiled with an inverted V at 60 feet on the highest area in
Western Michigan, I sold the property and moved into the city.  Now for the
past 5 years have struggled for contacts on 160.  Presently have the GAP
voyager up along with a 45G at 40 feet.  I am looking for something better on
160 than the GAP.  Have considered an inverted L but due to the location of
the tower, bracketed to the house at 15 feet and only 13 feet from the
detached garage, radials for the L are almost impossible.  Beside the
horizontal portion would have to run north.

I own about a 1/2 acre north of the house that is in a pie shape
configuration.  Anything I erect there has to be elevated as it is used by
the kids as the "City Park" and don't want any of them getting zapped or
beheaded.  Have considered a loop but using the formulas, I am a little short
on space unless I  overextend into the trees across the street and risk
losing the wire to a vandal, oversizload etc.

Hoping some of you guru's out there can suggest something better in the way
of 160.  I do own an MFJ 989C tuner that is really collecting dust but hoping
some day to put it to good use.

Thanks

Dave  KF8KW