[TowerTalk] Hurricanes and Beams

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Hurricanes and Beams
From: tgold@panix.com (Anthony R. Gold)
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 17:06:18 +0100
I'm thinking of setting up a station in the Caribbean and wonder what
can be done to avoid hurricane damage.  Is there any HF beam which
comes with a mast clamp (or an independent source of such a clamp)
which will allow the boom to rotate in a vertical arc from horizontal
to a vertical orientation along the mast such that a tiltable mast
can be fully lowered with the beam still attached?

Alf Sommer DJ2UT has a boom-to-mast clamp which is close to what I
have in mind, but his is is really only intended as an aid in
installation after which it is locked, so it is not really perfect
for routine and perhaps even emergency rotation.  But maybe it's the
best around.

Any other ideas on protecting say an HF beam with 26ft boom from
hurricane force storms?  I've seen systems which rise up around a
tower, but these seem ill suited a telescoping and so tapered mast.
Also the gadgets I've seen in the Dayton parking lot always looked
rather prototypish, so I don't know whether they were real or vapor.

Regards,
--
   Tony - G3SKR / W2TG                   email: tgold@panix.com