[TowerTalk] Dumb Question?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Dumb Question?
From: KJ6Y@aol.com (KJ6Y@aol.com)
Date: Sat, 5 Jul 1997 18:12:40 -0400 (EDT)
In a message dated 97-07-05 15:19:12 EDT, dick.green@valley.net ("Dick
Green".) writes:

<< I can't believe I have to ask this question. Am I dumb or are antenna
 manufacturers just not on the same page with us when it comes to providing
 specifications for their products?

 I have the latest Hy-Gain and KLM catalogs. Neither catalog shows the
 number of elements active on each band for the tribanders. I can sort of
 guess by looking at the drawings of the antennas, but I'm not sure. So,
 since I can't call 'em today, maybe one of you folks would be so kind as to
 tell me how many elements are active on each band for the following
 antennas:

 Hy-Gain TH5Mk2
 Hy-Gain TH7DX
 KLM KT-34A
 KLM KT-34XA

According to the HyGain catalogue, TH5 has 4 active elements on 10, 15, 20.
It has dual driven elements for broadbanding.
TH7DX has 5 active elements on 10, 4 on 15, 4 on 20. Dual driven elements
KT-34 All four elements active on all three bands. Dual driven elements.
KT-34XA 6 active on 10, 5 active on 15 and 20. Again, dual driven.
I have been using the KT-34XA for over 15 years. I've assembled and installed
all of the above and all will give you good performance. If you have the
room, tower, rotor to handle the larger antennas, go for the Kt-34XA or the
TH7DXX. Also look into the TH11.more elements but still a managable 24 ft
boom and 22 ft turning radius.
Good luck.
Skip, KJ6Y
Communications Service Co.