[TowerTalk] wire antennas (RF resistance)

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] wire antennas (RF resistance)
From: CQK8DO@aol.com (CQK8DO@aol.com)
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 1997 12:39:48 -0400 (EDT)
<< Press Jones,N8UG and The Wirman,  persuaded me to use his windowed,
 300 ohm twin lead, #18 AWG  conducotr wire for each leg, >>

Hey Jim....
Press is a good guy.... I do have some reservations on his recommendation for
the twin lead... My main concern is the increased wind resistance... I am not
saying he is wrong, but before I would string that much wire across the
canyon ( pronounced "venturi")  I would do some comparison... take a couple
hundred feet of the twin lead and the same length of #12 or #14 copperclad
and stretch them out about head high and compare the force needed to achieve
the same caternary curve... also live with them for a bit and see what the
winds do to each... also, take a few feet of each and do an ultimate tensile
strength test... If Press is right that's great... if not, you can always
sell the twin lead at the swaps....

either way, when you hit the key on that big kahuna you are going to dent the
return images on a whole bunch of low frequency back scatter radar
stations.... you do have a three holer to drive it, don't you?...

Cheers  ...  Denny