[TowerTalk] Are "Ufer" grounding BEF

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Are "Ufer" grounding BEF
From: TOMK5RC@aol.com (TOMK5RC@aol.com)
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 1997 14:12:08 -0400 (EDT)
Steve;

The issue is not corrosion as much as the theory that grounding THROUGH the
concrete base will vaporize the moisture in the base and cause the concrete
to explode if directly hit by lightning. Those who have had it happen think
that it is more than a theory. I have always followed the teachings that say
put your ground rods, radials, etc, outside the concrete foundation.

As with so many of the threads we have discussed herein lately (guying to
trees, aluminum masts, etc), It ain't an issue until mother nature reeks
havoc on you. I know many, many hams that get away with installations that
defy engineering standards and logic. I guess that's why  we call it
"Amateur" radio. As Dirty Harry said; Do you feel lucky?" Also, I spoke with
a Rohn engineer many years ago (before they quit talking due to liability
issues) who said "Do you want it to stay up for 50 years or 55 years?"

73 and DX,

Tom, K5RC