[TowerTalk] Re: Recommended Thimble Size: Preformed Big-Grips

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: Recommended Thimble Size: Preformed Big-Grips
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 1997 12:20:29 -0400 (EDT)
In a message dated 97-09-30 11:19:27 EDT, w2xx@cloud9.net writes:

> Do I need to use thimbles when going through the 502 insulators, or
>  is the turn radius and stength of the insulator enough to support the
>  1/4" EHS and big grip?

     The purpose of the thimble is to keep a constant radius on the
termination. An insulator already has adequate 'seats' built-in. You won't
find thimbles big enough to fit through the insulators anyway so don't worry
about it.

     The one thing that you should worry about is using the correct Preform
grip crossover mark. There are two. The first is for normal 'on wire'
terminations. The second (farthest from the loop end) is used when installing
insulators. This reduces the grip pull angle and is the only approved method
when using insulators.

73,  Steve  K7LXC

    TOWER TECH -- professional tower supplies for amateurs