[TowerTalk] Re: Ground Rods & Ohms

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: Ground Rods & Ohms
From: EEDWARDS@oppd.com (eedwards@oppd.com)
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 15:51:52 -0500
--Boundary-1078648-0-0

K2JAS asked:
>what is an exothermic soldering job?

Didn't see a response to this one so here goes nuthin'...

A exothermic "weld" or Cad-Weld (which is a brand name) is a very strong
electrical connection made by placing a mold onto a junction (can be
anything...two wires, wire & tower, wire & grnd rod, etc...), inserting a weld
chip (forgot what their called exactly), followed by a charge (looks like gun
powder) followed by charge ignitor (looks like another shade of gun powder)
placed on lip/edge of mold opening.  A spark ignites the ignitor which ignites
the charge "releasing lotsa HEAT" (exothermic part) melting the weld material
onto and into the junction.  It looks like it just becomes one single piece of
material, not like two pieces welded together at all.  This is good for
underground connections.

But I've heard rumor that a really good clamp connection with no disimilar
metal will last just as long with no corrosion even underground.  (Oh I hope
that statement doesn't start something!;)

73,
de ed -- K-zero-IL
eedwards@oppd.com

--Boundary-1078648-0-0

From:"Roger L. Elowitz" <owner-towertalk@contesting.com>
To: jm@drsmesh.com,(Joe,E,Mesh)
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Re: Ground Rods & Ohms
Cc: towertalk@contesting.com

Hi Joe,

Sorry to hear about your loss but, what was saved appears to be far more
valuable.  The other stuff seems to be "small potatoes" and mostly nuisance
stuff.

Here's my question:  You wrote....

>I have extensive grounding and a total of 20 eight foot rods (to date)
>all exothermically soldered to 3 inch copper or 00 stranded depending on
>the application.

If I may expose my ignorance for a moment.... what is an exothermic
soldering job?

I promise not to start another Limerick contest about it.

73, de Roger, K2JAS

--Boundary-1078648-0-0--