[TowerTalk] Aluminum Self-Supporting Towers

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Aluminum Self-Supporting Towers
From: Ron.Stordahl@digikey.com (Ron Stordahl)
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 1997 15:02:43 -0600
I have a Heights aluminum tower 72 feet high.  I initially had a Mosley Pro
97 on it, a fairly heavy beam, I believe 100# with about 12 Sq Ft wind load.
I probably had it overloaded.  I have discovered several welds which have
broken.  As a result I have guyed it with 500# test black covered nylon guy
rope to the bottom of 3 substantial Oak trees.  It has reduced the sway
considerably.  Currently have a 30 foot boom Tenedyne Log Periodic on it.
So its probably overloaded now too.  If it falls it will be my fault.  YES
you heard it I will not blame anyone else, not the mail man, not someone who
happens to be looking at it when it falls, no one with deep pockets or any
pockets at all.  It will be my fault alone!!!  An unguyed tower like this is
very nice to pull antennas to the top, nothing to interfere with it.  But
next time I will be using a conventional steel Rohn guyed tower.  I have
learned my lesson.  By the way I have the broken welds 'strengthened' with
hose clamps.  I bet that will help a lot!!

Ron N5IN