Re: [TowerTalk] Feedlines: inside or out on tower?

To: TOWERTALK@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Feedlines: inside or out on tower?
From: Chris <EZRhino@fastmovers.biz>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2012 10:00:05 -0600
The easiest way is probably just terminating the coax in a PL259 and using a
bulkhead connector through a right angle bracket of some sort.  There are also
gizmo's out there where you strip away the coax jack and clamp around the
braid.  It must be sealed up real good though to keep moisture out if you do
that....of course the same holds true with the PL259/bulkhead connector scheme.
 If you happen to use a remote coax switch at the top of the tower then you're
pretty much automatically grounded.

Chris
KF7P

On Aug 20, 2012, at 9:53 AM, iain macdonnell - N6ML wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 5:10 AM, K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net> wrote:
>> On 8/19/2012 11:59 AM, Jeff DePolo wrote:
>>>
>>> If the cable shields are properly bonded to the tower at the top and bottom
>>> of the vertical run as they should be, if for no other reason than lightning
>>> protection, then it doesn't matter whether they are inside or outside the
>>> tower.
>>
>> IF and I emphasize the "IF" you ground the coax shield to the tower at
>> the top and bottom of the tower then it should really make no difference
>> that I can see even if shunt feeding the tower. However you would need
>> to make sure the grounds at top and bottom were very low ohm.
>
> This is probably a really stupid question, but it's Monday morning, so
> I have an excuse...
>
> How do you "ground" the coax shield at the top of the tower? What do
> you connect it to??
>
> 73,
>
>    ~iain / N6ML
>

>> OTOH if the tower gets climbed much being inside would offer more
>> protection.
>>
>> 73
>>
>> Roger (K8RI)
>>

>>>                              --- Jeff WN3A

Apparently I am supposed to be more concerned about the way Mitt Romney spends
his money than how Obama spends mine.