Re: [TowerTalk] Hygain TH3

To: "Grant Saviers" <grants2@pacbell.net>, "'towertalk'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Hygain TH3
From: "Jim W7RY" <w7ry@inbox.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 18:18:32 -0700
The BN-86 is a rod core 1:1 balun. I take the cover off and re-solder the
connections to the SO-239 connector. I have tried a home wound balun (RG142
wound on a FT-247 core in a plastic electrical box) on my TH-7, and the SWR
curves were not right. Put the BN-86 back on and the SWR curves are now per
the book.  The antenna is mounted at 70 feet.

I also tried a Radio Works balun as well. Same poor results. (I got the
antenna used and it had the Radio Works balun with it).

73
Jim W7RY