Re: [TowerTalk] U-bolts for holes with 1 and 7/8 centers

To: w3qx@qsl.net, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] U-bolts for holes with 1 and 7/8 centers
From: TexasRF@aol.com
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2011 06:37:09 EDT
William, I recently had a similar problem; needing some ubolts for 2  3/8"
outside diameter pipe.

No standard sizes were available. The next smaller size was expanded to fit
 by whaming the center of the ubolt with a hammer. This caused the legs to
spread  apart and no longer parallel. The legs were reformed to correct
geometry by  placing them over a smaller piece of scrap pipe and squeezing them
together in a  vice.

It actually took less time than writing about it here. And best of  all,
they fit just fine.

Your 70cm yagi was designed to fit a 1 5/8" support mast. Many, if not
most, cross yagis are used with a Yaesu or Kenpro elevation rotator. Both
theses rotators are made to accept a 1 5/8" through boom.

I will check my ubolt collection later today; I had some stainless steel 1
5/8" size at one time, may still have some.

73,
Gerald K5GW

In a message dated 6/12/2011 11:32:39 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
w3qx@qsl.net writes:

All

An otherwise very good 70cm yagi has a boom and  clamp plate with
pre-drilled quarter-inch holes:  their _centers_ are  1 and 7/8 inches
apart.  The correct u-bolt was missing.

Don't  ask how how many places (including McMaster) and how long I've
looked for  a u-bolt with centers of its [ends] 1 and 7/8 inches
apart.  I've  learned there are about a half-dozen common u-bolt
sizes, and for that  dimension none come close.

Help will be appreciated.  Bolt stock  section 3/16 inch should be
good; 1/4 inch would be very  tight.

Best regards,
William W3QX

-30-