[TowerTalk] HyGain 204BA mod

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] HyGain 204BA mod
From: Yuri <ve3dz@rigexpert.net>
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2024 14:22:26 -0400
Hello,

I recently modified my old 204BA using the BV204CA file (YW, Yagi for Windows by N6BV) from the ARRL Antenna Book. I moved Driven Element and Director 1, changed the element tip lengths where necessary and changed Hairpin match length according calculations. According to the computer model the calculated SWR is 1.09:1 on the resonant frequency of 14175, and 1.40:1 on the edges: 14000 and 14350 at the 80' height. Hairpin spacing that used is 12 inches (different from the original one, which was 6 inches). In reality, I have SWR of 1.05:1 on 14090, which appears to be my new resonant FREQ now, and 1.6:1 on 14000 with 2.6 on 14350.
Why is it so narrow?
What am I doing wrong? Should I use original hairpin rod spacing of 6"?
Old variant of this antenna was wider (better broadband)
Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

--
73, Yuri VE3DZ