Re: [TowerTalk] Coax Question

To: <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Coax Question
From: <john@kk9a.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 18:17:07 -0400
I think that this is band dependant.  If you're operating 20m during a
contest, QRM is much more of a factor in hearing a station than the received
signal strength.  Your antenna will still have the same pattern, and it's
just like hitting the 3db attenuator button on your radio.  I think that you
will still hear what you did before, but just slightly weaker on your S
meter.  Perhaps on 10m or higher the coax loss may make some RX difference.

The other thing to consider with long runs is that you need large wires for
the rotator motors and you may have problems with some pulse sensor
controllers.

John  KK9A

To: towertalk@contesting.com, vlincoln@frontiernet.net
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 08:25:41 EDT

In a message dated 4/13/2010 3:48:52 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,

>  In regards to long runs of coax, has any thought EVER  been
given to RG213 to a remote tuned high power amplifier
at the base  of the tower.  I've thought about it, and for
costs, it might be cost  effective.  I'm sure someone has this
working for them  somewhere.  What do you guru's say to this?

Some potential problems  with the amp as already mentioned but you don't
get the real advantage for  long coax runs with low loss coax which is less
loss on the received signals. If  you can't hear them - you can't work them,
no matter how much power you're  running.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH