Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding a metal roof/Direct TV

To: Cqtestk4xs@aol.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding a metal roof/Direct TV
From: EZ Rhino <EZRhino@fastmovers.biz>
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2011 17:06:24 -0700
Hey Bill,

ICE is back in business as Morgan Mfg., they make a cable TV unit for 75ohm
cable,  http://www.morganmfg.us/radio-products/vhf-uhf-catv-arrestors/

As for the roof issue, I'd probably ground the four corners of the roof and tie
it into my perimeter ground.  I would use strap though, not copper braid. Braid
isn't so hot for outdoor use.

Chris
KF7P

On Dec 27, 2011, at 16:47 , Cqtestk4xs@aol.com wrote:

I'm still doing the ground work to get my station up and  running.  Right
now I'm taking care of the grounding situation....pretty  important in the
lightning capitol of the US.

I'm doing the usual...grounding the bulkhead, everything to a  common
ground , Polyphasers etc.  One unusual aspect of my station is  I have a metal
roof, actually two of them.  A cupola, and then down below  that is the main
metal roof.  It would take some time, but it would not be  a big deal to
ground the cupola to the main roof and then ground the roof to  main ground
where the telco/power company ground located and tied to the  bulkhead.

The roof is a standing seam type so oxidation from weathering on  the
screws won't be an issue.  There are thousands of screws holding the  thing
together so I can't do any kind of retrofit or anything like that.   Just a
stainless screw with a stainless washer holding the braid to a panel and  then
down to the ground.

Anybody out there with some technical info on whether the grounding  is
necessary to keep the roof at the same potential to everything  else.

Also before I even got any towers up last summer, we got nailed  with a
lightning hit that came through the Direct TV and took out our 60 inch  screen
which was two days old.  Any place to get a Polyphaser for this that  won't
break the bank?  I believe Direct uses around 1.2 gHz.

As always thanks for the help.  I bet I get a usable answer in  an
hour...always happens!

Bill K4XS