Re: [TowerTalk] compression PL259

To: David Thompson <thompson@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] compression PL259
From: Rob Atkinson <ranchorobbo@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2011 14:03:02 -0600
you have the wrong tools.  ya need a Wahl 150 watt iron. lottsa silver
solder, vice, good silver plate 259s, good RG213, a sharp Xacto knife, Kline
cable cutters.   ya gotta let the iron sit for about half an hour then get
the plug hot as hell, then the solder flows into the holes.  the problem is
there's just a few ways to do it right but a zillion ways to do it wrong.

Guns never work.  The tip isn't massive enough and the 259 sinks the heat.
A huge iron, biggest one you can find with a massive tip that heats for
about half an hour is what you need, or a small torch but don't use flux
with a torch.  The 259 will actually get TOO hot then.

73

rob
k5uj