[TowerTalk] Fw: who's "right" (a tuner question)

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Fw: who's "right" (a tuner question)
From: Rob Atkinson <ranchorobbo@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2010 11:26:50 -0600
##  excellent points.   Part of the problem is..the MFJ is a microwatt  output
instrument.

Actually it puts out around 20 milliwatts.  It's fairly strong for a
SWR analyzer and eats the 10 AA cells if you power it with them.   On
my dipole with the matching network giving it 50 j0 a friend says he
can hear it 5 miles away (that surprises me).   Once, around 2 years
ago when I still had a Gap Titan for a backup antenna, I was out at
the base of the Titan sweeping it with the analyzer for fun and found
a 50 ohm Z on some unused channel in the FM broadcast band.  Wondering
how well the 20 mw on the Titan got out (it was somewhere around 102
MHz) I left it on and got in the car and drove around listening to it
on the car radio.  It turned out to be full quieting for about 2
blocks.

73

Rob
K5UJ