Re: [TowerTalk] Proximity to power lines

To: David Thompson <thompson@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Proximity to power lines
From: Ryan Jairam <rjairam@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2010 16:05:40 -0400
There was the possibility of a 500kv high voltage line running through
here. That's half a megavolt.  When I heard that my heart sank.  I
have a pretty good QTH, our development has underground wiring and
most people use cable or dish since OTA reception takes extraordinary
measures (my TV antennas are on my tower and my TV array consists of
16 stacked dipoles and a VHF yagi along with a LNA). This basically
means little to no TVI or telephone interference either and vice
versa.  I really like it out here, it is (relatively) quiet, both RF
and AF wise.

So I emailed ARRL asking what would be my RFI situation. They said not
to worry that there would not be a problem if the line is well
maintained.

As it turns out two good things happened -

1. The power company chose a different route

2. The powerline project is delayed due to environmental permits
(mostly for wetlands) and money problems at the power company (PSE&G).

Sometimes things work out for a reason, but I'm thinking I better go
buy a generator now due to the inevitable rolling blackouts and
brownouts...

73
Ryan, N2RJ

On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 1:34 PM, David  Thompson <thompson@mindspring.com> wrote:
> I am not far from what GA Power calls an overland feeder line.  I was told
> by the RFI expert
> at GA Power 25 years ago that such a line probably will not affect the bands
> above 5 Mhz.
>
> My experience bears this out as the only place I have a real problem is 160
> where its a steady S6
> day or night.  When its cold and dry (winter) it can peak at S8 to 9.   20
> meters is mostly affected by
> regular power lines, door bell buzzers, small motors, and bad street lights.
>
> Dave K4JRB

Ryan A. Jairam,