Re: [TowerTalk] 22 ohms to 50 Ohms balun material

To: <WW5L@gte.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 22 ohms to 50 Ohms balun material
From: "Dan Hearn" <dhearn@air-pipe.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2006 17:06:11 -0700
Tom, I have the book. Sevick seems to use 250 permeability cores for the
baluns. I assume he needs to match 50 ohm coax to a balanced 22 ohm load.
There are numerous designs in the book to do that job. Most use one core to
do the balun job and another to do the Z transformation but one design uses
a single core with 2 windings on it. One is 6 turns tri-filar of nr 14 H
Thermaleze interconnected. The other winding is 6 turns of a home made low Z
coax. This uses nr 12H thermaleze for the center conductor covered with
Teflon tubing. The outer braid is taken from another piece of small coax ( I
guess like RG174) and the outer of the braid is taped with Scotch 92 tape.
The core is 2.4 OD of 250 permeability ferrite. I wonder if he realizes how
complex this thing is. 73, Dan, N5AR