Re: [TowerTalk] Rotator loops

To: "'Tower and HF antenna construction topics.'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rotator loops
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2010 10:07:24 -0500

> > I have also noticed that TV station remote trucks
> > seem to use another solution for their rotating dishes -
> > they wrap a few turns of coax loosely around the mast, so
> > that a one-turn rotation only slightly loosens or tightens
> > the wrap.  Seems like this would be a better, more
> > durable practice for ham installations too.
> >
> I agree.. they also do this to accommodate the big difference
> in height as the mast extends, so the coax neatly stacks as it
> comes down.

Having designed and built those trucks for a few years, there
are two issues here:

1) mast height is accommodated by the many turns of the "nycoil"
   which stretches like a slinky as the mast is raised.  By the
   way, the length of feedline is almost double the mast height.

2) the antenna rotation is accommodated by a single loop.  The
   "nycoil" is attached at the top of the mast for support.  The
    mast does not rotate - only the antenna rotates.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV