[TowerTalk] close spaced 4 square?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] close spaced 4 square?
From: "Jim Jarvis" <jimjarvis@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 08:53:03 +0000
Anybody have specific experience with an 1/8 wave spaced
4 square array on 80 or 160?

I'm interested in feeding/matching issues, along with
bandwidth and pattern performance.

Dealing with site constraints, including the presence of
other towers, which may have to be detuned.

It is likely that this will be an array of guyed tubular
structures.  The existing towers don't permit the luxury of
catenary support lines.  Target band is 80.

Among the things I'm wondering is whether we'd be better off
using 3 towers, which I believe we can space @ 1/4 lambda, and
still get reasonable cardiods NE/SW and NW/SE, with a simple
network.

As I see the problem, it's a tradeoff between a bit of forward gain
and a more stable, lower Q system.   If I'm missing something,
I'd appreciate a heads-up.

And yes, I have Devoldere's book, latest edition, before you send
me there.  Looking for some hands-on insights to augment that.

Thanks in advance.

Jim/N2EA
jimjarvis@ieee.org