Re: [TowerTalk] [WISPA FCC] OT??? High power 2.4 GHz rules change

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [WISPA FCC] OT??? High power 2.4 GHz rules change
From: "Jim Jarvis" <jimjarvis@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 21 May 2006 08:44:09 +0000
WISPA's desire for amateur feedback notwithstanding, this topic is
inappropriate for this forum.

Since it's already here, I will hazard a brief comment.  I consult to the
Dept. of
Justice on communications technology in law enforcement and public safety.
There is a proliferation of commercial and research applications in the
ISM bands, which simply fail to work, because of propagation
characteristics.
This is no different.

WISPA is among a growing number of applicants seeking part 15 relief, to
attempt to make a viable service out of something which is inherently short
range.  It won't work.  And the notion that adding another 10 or even 30dB
will
make up for the shortcomings is naive.

In mission-critical applications like law enforcement or public
safety/emergency
management, unlicensed and unsecure communications are simply not viable.
That
doesn't stop tens of applications a year seeking grant money to make a silk
purse
out of what is indisputably a sow's ear.

There is no lack of cash-starved municipalities with grand ideas of
producing
local WISP's, in pursuit of revenue or public influence.   And there is a
growing number
of firms seeking to encourage them, in pursuit of profit.

Neither should be encouraged at 2.4 GHz.  The amateur applications include
satellite
communications, which are inherently small-signal.  The existing ISM use has
already raised
the noise floor to the point where many satellite passes are not viable.

I'm all in favor of enterprise.   Go find a licensed frequency.

N2EA
jimjarvis@ieee.org